When it began, Heathrow Terminal 5 was one of the world’s largest construction projects of its type and is now one of the world’s busiest airports. The multi million pound initiative was privately funded by British Airways Authority (BAA) to manage the increasing fleet of British Airways aircrafts.
Terminal 5a spans 400m long x 200m wide, painting the 22 steel support structures each at 50 metres high, presented a considerable challenge for BAA. BM Rope Access took on this challenge from 2006 until 2010 and completed it on target with a 100% safety record. With 30 technicians strong, there were no disruptions to the numerous other trades working in close proximity.
In addition, we provided the following services:
- Rig and installation of lift housing, motor and hoist cable: for 10 lifts with 5 working levels
- Curtain wall glazing
- Electrical containment and air condition unit installation
- Industrial pipe fitting
- Window cleaning on the total structure
- Demolition of buildings in an area with restricted access for cranes
- Fire stopping at 30 metres
- Sign removal and replacement at 50 metres
For more information about our services and the benefits of using rope access systems on your next project give us a call on 0203 011 55 03 or complete our contact form.